Monday 30 July 2012

The Battle of Attributes


Hmm ok so its my 3rd post and I’m already being exceptionally choosy about what I write (see bad blogging!) From a very long time I wanted to take a dig at English and its changing trends, be it SMS language or abnormally excessive use of slang (wazzah yall, got swag eh? Yolo!) But looks like a few (million) people beat me to it.. However I decided to venture into a less significant (and by that I mean you never gave a rat’s a** about it!) trend in English and that is, the slow decline in using superior adjectives to express any kind of emotion (see, I told you it was lame!).
Courtesy the keyboard, a strong emotion of happiness is expressed as say, ‘IIII aaaammm sssooooooo hhhaaapppyyyyyy!!’ now replace that by ‘I am elated’ and it somehow does not give out the same feeling. Now lets replace a biggie like ‘I am flabbergasted!’ by ‘Ooohhh mmyy ffrreeaakiinngg ggooodd!!’ (I bet in your head there’s a shrill voiced lady who is screaming this!) and the latter definitely gets to you. Now thanks to the qwerty phones, our faithful chat friend T9 keypad takes a back seat and the extra letters are tossed in abundance to show someone how you really feel. For a retard like me, who loves to bring inanimate things to life in the head, this situation seems like a battle between the adjectives who can be powerful enough to beat the ‘Extra Lettered Attributes’ (ELA). 
Maybe someday they will just be obsolete and the emotions will be judged on the number of times the letters are repeated! Hmm I wonder what the superior adjectives will do next.. probably bring out a honcho like ‘Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious’ (yes, that is a real word.. source: Wikipedia) to stand against the menacing ELA! Till then, I sincerely wish them Gggggooooodddd Llluuccckkkkkk!!


2 comments:

  1. ELA?? did you just make that up?
    i found this one very enthralling and gratifying and enlightening... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh touche !! ;) n yes i made that up u NCWBB hehe :)

      Delete