Wednesday 15 August 2012

Lament of the Little Toe

I'm sure after reading the title you will probably have some serious doubts about the sanity of the writer..Yes! I have finally hit the wall and lost my brains.. My preternatural ability to bring things to life in my head, has crossed all barriers and hence I present to you the sad tale of the 'Little Toe!' So here it goes,

The other day my dear mother was going about her job of cleaning the house and flapping her wings around, throwing an occasional smart alec or two at me for not actively helping her in what she acknowledges as 'Home Making' (yeah right!) when suddenly during her unmindful scuttling she whammed her foot to the couch's leg! As she tossed and turned in extreme agony, I rushed to her rescue rolling my eyes at her sloppiness, and saw a rather appalling sight of her little toe badly bent in the opposite direction! I screamed in horror and prayed furiously that it shouldn't end up as a fracture. Thankfully it didn’t happen so.. My mother fearlessly caught the little devil and fixed it back in place! I was beginning to think that it was a fake toe bought off the internet.. (read 'My Angry bird Mom!')
So coming back to the tale of the little toe.. (sorry I got distracted!) As we sat there nursing her injury, my mother kept rambling curses at her toes, the little one in particular. She called it insignificant, a weakling, a klutz, err homeless! (that was in Urdu by the way, it actually sounds very harsh!) She asked me what was the purpose of that stupid appendage, to which I replied 'Actually nothing! Its a 'Vestigial' organ.. just like the appendix.' To which she looked up to the heavens and yelled 'Allah! Then why is it still there? take off all the toes or at least make them equally sized!!' By then I was beginning to feel sorry for that poor toe.. I shuddered at the weird image of having no toes or equally sized ones.. believe me it looked horrifyingly ugly! I went to my room to Google 'Significance of the little toe' (the joys of being utterly jobless!) and found that 'The little toe or baby toe helps in maintaining balance, although it is not as critical as the the other toes..' Ouch.. so it isn't very important. Wonder what it would be going through, if it had a mind of its own.. probably turn so depressed and suicidal.. it would need therapy! sigh.. no wonder it smashes itself repeatedly against the furniture! 
So I guess I should stop this story so filled with morose, while my brain impels to pen a befitting moral.. hmm.. I wonder.. Oh here it is.. Never be like the unfortunate little toe in life.. strive hard and become a thumb! Now that, will set you apart from all the other mammals and make you substantial!! 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know why I deleted my previous comment..weird, maybe it's my pinky at work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. why did you delete the previous comment? Well.. atleast your pinky does something! hehe.. and the little toe is vestigial man! Had read it somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really???let's cut off your little toe and see what happens, shall we??? (Comes with an evil grin and pincers)muahahaha

      Delete
    2. hehe ouch!! hey I was the one who felt really bad for it in the first place!! so yeah.. I don't deserve that kind of punishment! :D

      Delete